Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The 100 by Kass Morgan

The 100 (The Hundred, #1)Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Romance
Release Date: September 3, 2013
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: ebook                 Pages: 323
Series: The 100 #1
Sources: Gift


Goodreads Synopsis:

In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.
Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love – again.

My Thoughts: 

Liars. Thieves. Rebels. Heroes.

The Cover: I liked the cover for this one....at first. But the more I look at it, the more unsure I am. Sure it has a whole new lovely cover, thanks to the CW, but its original cover leaves me a little unsettled. So technical and spacey, so much drama just in those little spaces. I just don't know what to make of it.

The Plot:  Holy Hannah, it has been awhile since I read a good dystopian novel. The 100 did not disappoint. It is very well written from 4 different points of view. The story here is totally unique, but not too out of this world. I could totally see humanity destroying the planet we call home. I could even see it destroying itself. And I really hope that if that is the outcome, then some very smart people find a way to save some of mankind.

The Characters: I loved the characters. They all had interesting story lines, well written personalities, and character flaws. Clarke and Bellamy are my favourites. Even though I didn't like Bellamy or Octavia on the TV Series, I liked both of them in the book. I didn't like Glass even a little at first; I thought she was a spoilt brat, but I grew to like her, as I realized she was really torn. I liked that The 100 was told from 4 different points of view and that Glass was on the ship, so you got that story as well.


Is it Worth Reading?:  My kids and I were totally addicted to the TV series, so I had to read the book while it was in off season. Although I must say I am disappointed at how different the TV series is from the book, I would have a hard time saying which I liked better. It's like reading a book that you really enjoy and then realizing the TV series you watch is similar, yet different. I will continue to watch the TV series and tell everyone I know about it. But I will also recommend the book. I can't wait for Book 2, Day 21, and give The 100 5/5 of Bellamy's crossbows.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment