Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our StarsGenre: YA, romance, contemporary, realistic                      fiction
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books
Format: Hardcover                     Pages: 355
Series: Standalone
Sources: Kristen @ My Bookish Fairytale

"That's the thing about pain......it demands to be felt."


Goodreads Synopsis:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.


My Thoughts: 

The Cover: I have loved the whimsical and cute cover for The Fault in Our Stars from the moment I first laid eyes on it. Unfortunately, I just had too many other books to read and I have only recently discovered the love of a good contemporary novel. But in honour of the movie being released, I decided to pull it out.
The Plot:  This book was not at all what I expected. I mean, sure its about a romance between a really sick teen and a no longer sick teen. It is about cancer and various stages of being sick with (and of) cancer. It is a really well written book that made me laugh out loud, made me cheer, made me mad, made me love, and yes, made me cry. Even as I write this now, tears are threatening. This is the first book I have read by John Green, but The Fault in our Stars has put him on my favourites list.

Characters: How can you not love Hazel and Augustus? At first, I thought she was feeling sorry for herself and he was just looking for a quick pickup. But they both developed into amazing characters, so full of feelings...and love, giving a whole new meaning to star-crossed lovers. Isaac was such an amazing character, so very full of such extreme emotions. Every interaction with him was so intense. Even Hazel and Augustus' parents were so amazingly written, with so much personality and emotion.

Is it Worth Reading?:  Have you ever read a book and been moved by it? For me, this was one of those books. I finished it this am and I know that it will be one of those books I will not forget. I will read it again and again over years. I just got the soundtrack and will listen to it on repeat for days. I will get the movie and I will watch it over and over; it will become one of those bad day, comfort movies.
So yes, it is definitely worth reading and I definitely recommend it to everyone!



I give The Fault in Our Stars 5/5 crossbows laced with magick pixie-dust to kill cancer! Die, Cancer, Die!!

No comments:

Post a Comment